Instructions for use of UV adhesives
1. Choice of material
Depending on the selected material and the corresponding adhesive different compounds will have different final strength.
Maximum strength: glass-glass; glass-metal (stainless); glass-stone (granite); glass-wood (hard); glass-grooved glass; glass-glass with sand blasting.
2. Treatment of surfaces to be bonded
- The surface must be absolutely clean, free from grease and dry.
- Use cleaners on isopropyl alcohol basis (for example, Cosmofen 60).
To get long-lasting persistent connection, you need to heat the pieces before bonding to remove invisible condensate.
All pieces for bonding shall be heated (about 30°C above ambient) slowly and evenly to prevent internal stresses in the connection. Failure to comply with any of these conditions may result in a significant loss of strength and, consequently, the destruction of the compound.
3. Correct choice of adhesive
Depending on the joined materials use the following adhesives of UV-polymerization.
|Adhesive parameter||K-59H, K-58H, K-55H||K-22B, K-24C||K-16B||K-8B|
|Bonded materials||glass/glass; glass/metal; glass/wood; glass/stone; glass/plastic, glass/rubber||glass/glass; glass/metal; glass/wood; glass/stone; glass/plastic||glass/glass; glass/metal; glass/stone; glass/plastic||glass/glass; glass/metal; glass/stone; glass/plastic|
4. How to apply UV adhesive
Before applying UV adhesive it is recommended to check the positioning of the connected parts relative to each other.
- UV adhesive should be used within 5 minutes after heating of the connected parts. If more time has passed – the heating process must be repeated.
- Excessive amount of UV adhesive and the presence of bubbles reduce the strength of the connection and increase the time required to remove excess adhesive.
UV adhesive of medium viscosity is always applied before bonding the parts.
UV adhesives of low viscosity are capillary active, which allows them to easily penetrate into connection gap. Therefore, parts can be connected before applying an adhesive.
The flatter the surface and the thinner the layer of an adhesive – the stronger the connection is.
Bonding is performed in two stages:
1. Preliminary bonding provides working strength (70%). At this stage the excess glue can be easily removed out of the connected surfaces.
2. After the final bonding connection is fully functional and can be used under load.
- UV lamp needs to be longer than the bonding line to prevent internal stresses due to non-simultaneous bonding.
- Place the lamp closest to the bonding surfaces.
- Preliminary bonding takes from 10 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the type and efficiency of the lamp.
- Final bonding takes from 60 seconds to 5 minutes depending on the lamp type.
You must use safety glasses with UV filter and gloves.